Wednesday, April 8, 2009

ON FRIENDS & FRIENDSHIPS

For the 2007 anniversary issue of Good Housekeeping we had Kajol and Karan on the cover... Some may think that's an unusual pair to be featured on GH cover. I mean, isn't it a magazine of and for women who play out successful roles as wives, mothers and professionals? Where does friendship, and that too between man and woman, find space in this world? But the cover worked and we got plenty of responses not just to Kajol but to the fact that we had pegged it around friendship. I was delighted. Of course, women, even GH women(!), have a life that goes beyond home, family and office. Friendships can bring Happiness, a core motivation, and part of the stapline of the magazine... Recently, I have had some jolts on the friendship front and that's what set me thinking of this. I felt let down by someone who I had considered a friend: Someone who brings you joy and laughter, a person one can let one's guard down with, someone you can call when in need without a second's pause, someone you can think out loud with and say whimsical, contradictory nothings to, knowing it won't go further and will be taken in the right spirit... Of course, 'let down' is a relative idea but I still feel bad. However, to take life lessons on holding back trust is something I'll skip; the hurt's too little to change myself at this late age! The incident of course had a good side: I remembered all those who I like sufficiently to want to keep in touch with, and called them up, jlt. They of course, poor things, were happily surprised, quite unsuspecting of the trigger. It also made me value someone who keeps up with her vast network of friends, her work and life situations, notwithstanding. I'm happy to be part of is special network.

To get back to the purpose of this blog... When I started off, I planned on making it a chatty, funny interaction. Clearly, I have meandered offtrack. Will try best, next time!

1 comment:

  1. Hey - I actually have that issue of GHK - I started reading it from the issue with Karan Johar and Kajol and have been reading ever sice! I really liked the article and specially because it crossed the gender divide.

    ReplyDelete