Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My son Bihu (he prefers Agastya) turns 13 today. So far, he's a funny, loving, warm, easy-going (too easy going, says Ma'am), indisciplined, short tempered person. He adds dimension and interest to my life. In Good Housekeeping, we're of course constantly talking of family. In most editions of the magazine worldwide, the section Good Family talks solely of children. So is 'family' synonymous with children? And are you incomplete as a couple if you don't have children? I think not. The people you grow up with, live long years with, is your family. Also, consider why most people have children. Try this experiment, ask people with children and without, why they have or would like to have children. The answers would range from I want someone to carry forward the family line; they will be my support in old age; I would feel incomplete; there's social pressure; I want to live my life through them; it's a great high for me if my children do well... You will notice, very few will actually say, I have children or would love to have children simply because they delight me just by being there, as they are. Of course, I am often told that just because I have two healthy, normal boys, I am complacent enough to have these supercilous notions... Maybe, they're right. But, perhaps too late in life, I have realised that I should have enjoyed my babies more, not just fussed and worried and coached and got impatient, especially with Japi, who turns 17 in a few months. Well, there's no setting the clock back, and of course, there's another day tomorrow to try and be a better parent, to enjoy my children more. And to stop the lecture. Now!

7 comments:

  1. all the other 'compulsions' of having a child are just nonsense........you have it because they bring absolute happiness to your life. i feel fulfilled as a human being after having my angel daughter...no matter whether she will be there with me in my twilight years..........
    my daughter is a special child with a life shortening and very painful disorder( frederick's ataxia)and everybody advices me to have another child who will be with me in my old age.........i tell all of them that whatever a child can give to her parents, my daughter has given me....more than that actually........i feel blessed to have her ......truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sangeeta,
    I sometimes try to imagine how it would be bring up a special child... I confess, I don't think I would be up to it.It's just such an incredible thing and I do think only a very special mother can do this! Your child is wonderfully lucky to have you love her. Maybe at some point you may want to share your story, the day-to-day joys, how you deal with dark moments and way your daughter completes your life so wonderfully...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes manjira..i would love to share my inner story with people n in fact i am writing a blog http://sangeeta-homealone.blogspot.com/.where i try n write my journey with my angel daughter....it is very tough to write my inner feelings there but believe me my baby ( her name is mithi) gives me all the courage n strength.....i want to tell everybody that it's not difficult when you accept the situation .........it has given me a beautiful opportunity to develop a so very meaningful relationship with mithi.......it is extraordinary in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sangeeta, Can we get in touch with you on phone? If ok, do send me your number... Would love to follow up on your story...

    ReplyDelete
  5. should i give my no. here??
    what is your mail ID.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mine is sangeetaamkhanna@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. soity bannerjee will be in touch with you... many thanks!

    ReplyDelete